Sunday, November 11, 2012

Concerts in the Park

When you are slow like me, sometimes the posts are REALLY outdated and almost too old to post but never fear. I am posting it anyway!

During the summer months of June-Aug. there are two concerts every week as part of the Temple Square Concert Series. They are held in the Brigham Young Historic Park. They are free and last a little over an hour. Workers set up several hundred white plastic lawns chairs the morning of and take them down immediately after, with the help of the audience. There is always plenty of room for blankets and lawn chairs brought from home.

They usually have a great mix of genres, some pretty well known and others who are trying to more widely introduce themselves to the area. This year we went to two and I went to another one without Len.

We saw Mercy River. They are a trio of beautiful women with gorgeous voices. I have heard and read a lot about them because they are frequent participants in the Time Out For Women tours by Deseret Book. I have always wanted to see them. I enjoyed them a lot and was not disappointed. In fact, I could have listened a lot longer.

Another group we saw was Octapella. They are a group of 7 great guys who do wonders with their voices only. I could have listened to them for many more hours. I have found that the Salt Lake area has many a  cappella groups, both male and female and many are darned wonderful!!!!! I love good a cappella music.

I then went to see Cherie Call. She is another singer that participates in the Time Out for Women tours. I have seen her CDs advertised many times in Deseret Book catalogs and on emails from them. She was very good but my least favorite of the 3 I saw.

When I saw the list of those who performed before we got here I was really disappointed because I missed them! I loved the concerts the last time we were here and I loved them this year. I am excited to attend them again next summer.

If you are in the SLC area during the summer months on a Tuesday or Friday night, catch the FREE Concert in the Park. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment